Passport & Visas 



Passports are required for all ACIS trips traveling abroad except those to Canada, where a passport is only required if you are flying into the country or if you are aged 19 or over. You are responsible for obtaining your own passport so please don’t delay! Visit your post office or a local office of the federal government for an application form. Note that some countries require that passports be valid for six months after you return to the United States. Please be sure that yours is up-to-date.

For more information about obtaining a passport and processing times, visit the State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs.

Birth Certificates

Students 18 and younger traveling to Canada by bus need to have either their original birth certificate or a certified copy with them in order to cross the border (if traveling by plane, or if they are 19 or older they will need a passport). In addition, students should bring a government-issued photo ID (if available) to prove they are the person whose birth certificate they are presenting.

Full Name

It's necessary that we have your first, middle and last name on file exactly as your name appears on your passport. If the full name on your account does not match that on your passport, please go online and update the information.


No visas are required for U.S. citizens traveling to western or central Europe, Costa Rica or Mexico.

Important Information for Non-U.S. Citizens

Non-U.S. citizens are responsible for obtaining all documents needed to enter the countries to be visited or connected through, and for reentry into the USA. Please consult the consular offices of the countries on your itinerary, as well as the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, for complete information.